Tuesday, January 26, 2021

Classics in Commercials, Finding Joy in Music at Every Level, It's For You


I like to share examples of classical music being used in popular media. The problem lately for me has been that except for sports, I don't watch much TV, so I am probably missing quite a bit. But I did catch this one the other day...a commercial for Squarespace. The music here is from the first movement of Mendelssohn's Fourth Symphony, known as the Italian Symphony (1833).


*********************************************************************************

My Dad, whom I have spoken of many times here, had the gift of being able to hear music...let me unpack this a bit. There's a difference between playing music and making music. Musicians who play notes are not necessarily "making music." They may just be playing notes. That's the easy part. Turning those notes on the page into an emotional connection...or reaction...is a different thing, and can be elusive. My dad appreciated anyone or any ensemble who could make music, at any level of proficiency. He would come to my school orchestra concerts with open ears and an open heart, ready to have the music speak to him. Clunky notes, shaky entrances, or wobbly tempos did not stand in the way of him recognizing a sincere attempt to say something musical. He was patient and thoughtful, and when I came out to meet him after a performance, knowing that we had sucked on a technical level, he would be smiling ear to ear, happy to share that we had "made music" despite any of the aforementioned imperfections. On another occasion, we went to see the world famous Chicago Symphony Orchestra in 1988 at Orchestra Hall. The best musicians in the world....the greatest repertoire. And on this night...believe it or not...nothing magical happened, The notes were perfectly played. The sound was perfect. But for some unexplainable reason, we were not moved. Something was missing. So I learned to be open to hearing music anywhere and everywhere. A dingy blues bar...a honkytonk country bar, or a middle school gymnasium, are all places you may hear something special. Be open and ready. And for the record, we did go back to Orchestra Hall to hear the CSO the next night, and they blew the roof off the joint...which they usually do. Even the CSO can have a bad night.

***********************************************************************************

If I had to tell you what piece of music I have probably listened to the most over the past 40 years, it would likely be "It's for You" by Pat Metheny. It was featured in the 1984 film Fandango, a great "off the beaten path" movie that I still love that was Kevin Costner's first starring role.  The tune is from the 1981 album called "As Falls Wichita, So Falls Wichita Falls," a collaboration between Pat Metheny and keyboardist Lyle Mays. This music has penetrated my DNA. The entire album is a true masterpiece.






 

No comments:

Post a Comment