Tuesday, November 2, 2021

Classics in Commercials: Patrick Mahomes and Beethoven for Bose

 




It seems ironic that the tag line for this Bose Earbuds commercial is "rules the quiet." The music you are hearing in this ad is the second movement of Beethoven's Symphony no 9. I'm sure you are aware that Beethoven was tormented with hearing loss, tinnitus, and eventually total deafness. Despite this cruel fate, he continued to write music. And as the story goes, while conducting the 9th Symphony at it's premiere, he didn't hear the audience's applause when it was over so the musicians had to turn him around to see how well it had been received. 
Beethoven sought medical attention throughout his life to deal with his hearing issues. But he certainly didn't have anything like the amazing technology we have today such as these earbuds being promoted by Kansas City Chiefs' quarterback, Patrick Mahomes. And I don't know if the creators of this commercial chose Beethoven's music just because it is incredible music, or if they were tapping into the story of Beethoven's hearing tragedy as a way to emphasize the power of their technology. 
I wrote about my hearing challenges in this blog a few years ago, and I called it "This is My Quiet." When the room is quiet, I don't just hear "nothing." I hear whirring and buzzing. My hearing has been damaged over the course of my lifetime from exposures to loud music and other everyday loud noises. Now I keep earplugs with me at all times and for all environments, be it in a crowded-noisy restaurant, a concert, vacuuming, or playing my violin. 
I like this commercial a lot because I love the KC Chiefs, Patrick Mahomes, and Beethoven. 

No comments:

Post a Comment