Friday, January 3, 2020

A New Year, A New Decade...Onward. Mussorgsky. LOVE.

I started writing this online journal...or Blog...in February of 2014. I must say, I am immensely proud and satisfied with what this has become. Writing continues to be a source of pleasure and happiness for me. I wish I had more time to write. It's not always easy, and I don't always write very well....but hey, that's OK too. I don't always write about classical music either...I branch out...take journeys into other areas...history and philosophy for example. But, regardless, it is genuine, and from my heart. It is honest and authentic. It is me. Hello 2020, I am looking forward to what you have in store for me.

*********************************************************************************

In early December, I had another one of those moments when I heard a piece of music while I was in the car... I knew what the piece was...Mussorgsky's Pictures at an Exhibition (1874)...but in this case, it was the original version for piano, and I wanted to know who was playing it. Maurice Ravel orchestrated Pictures in 1922, and this is what most people know. I have talked to many people who have never even heard the piano version, and as incredible as Ravel's work is, the original work is equally stunning. On this occasion, the recording I was listening to was even more mesmerizing than any other I have heard. And of course, I arrived home before it was over, so there I sat in the garage for at least fifteen minutes, waiting for it to end so I could hear who had recorded it. The answer was Alice Sara Ott. Mussorgsky had a very tragic life. I read some letters of his that described his descent into alcoholism and eventual death that was equal parts fascinating and sad. The picture above (1881), was painted a few days before he died, and captures the red nose and vacant stare of a chronic alcoholic at death's doorstep. But in his Pictures at an Exhibition, there is so much life...breathtaking melodies, humor, fear, and triumph. Ott's recording is the best I have heard.


I stumbled upon another work of Mussorgsky this month that I had never heard...The Songs and Dances of Death for Soprano and Piano. I find these haunting and beautiful...sometimes playful and light...but mostly heavy and dark. I love them! Take a listen. I am curious what you think of them.


*******************************************************************************

My resolution this year is to talk about LOVE. Despite the sadness and grief around us....the fighting and arguing...the negativity and anger...I do believe that LOVE is the answer. I believe in God's LOVE and GRACE. But I have dear friends and family members who don't believe in God...and that's OK with me. They too have LOVE in their hearts. LOVE is LOVE. Spread it. "I LOVE you" is the best thing you can tell someone. Say it.

No comments:

Post a Comment