Monday, September 30, 2019

Saying Good-bye to Cynthia


None of us could wrap our heads around the message that Cynthia Gerdes had lung cancer. Last year, this amazingly strong, outgoing and loving soul received this diagnosis. It didn't compute or make any sense to me, or any one else. Cynthia was a picture of health and fitness. An avid tennis player, runner, and triathlete, Cynthia was regarded by me and all of us in our local runner's group as a larger-than-life person. She had a strong voice... powerful laugh...and passion for life that set her apart from others.
I remember the first time I met her. She and I were on a school bus. Her son Kyle and my son Ethan are the same age, and about ten years ago, their class went on a field trip. We went as parent volunteers. We chatted on the bus and realized we both had a passion for running and riding bikes. We became friends.
Another memory that stands out is New Year's Day 2013. Eric, Cortney, Cynthia and I shook off a late night welcoming in the New Year with a run in the snow. (Cynthia is wearing the green vest.)




In addition to her athletic prowess, Cynthia was also very creative and intellectually curious. Every run was accompanied by some sort of wonderful conversation on any one of a hundred topics. She loved to learn and to share her knowledge and loving heart with others. Her work as a counselor in the Raytown School District demonstrated her caring nature and passion for helping others.

And if all of this was not enough to completely blow me away, Cynthia also loved music. Once, when my Mom and I were unable to attend one of our KC Symphony concerts, Cynthia and her forever man, Jan, were the first to respond to our call for free tickets. She and Jan also attended other musical events at the Kauffman Center for the Performing Arts and she always loved to tell me about them. (Both of the concert hall pictures here are taken from Cynthia's Facebook page.)


In early June, I spent about an hour with Cynthia at her parent's house. She was in hospice care at this point and no longer receiving any treatment for her cancer, She told me she was at peace, and hoped to be able to hold on at least another week so she could go to Wisconsin for her older son Aaron's wedding. She made it.

Shortly after she was diagnosed, I shared a prayer with Cynthia that I say every day...Every...Day....I hope it brought her some peace and strength during her final days.

"The Light of God surrounds me. The Love of God enfolds me. The Power of God protects me. The Presence of God watches over me. Wherever I am, God is."


I miss you good friend. We all miss you. Thank you for the love and spirit you shared with us while you were here. Though you left us way too soon, your spirit and love remains here in everyone you touched.

No comments:

Post a Comment